The Lakeside Blog is happily written by Michelle Bruck at the Interlaken Inn, Lakeville, CT. She writes about what there is to do at Interlaken and why you should come stay with us, fun local events, great places to visit and cool things to do – in and around Lakeville & Salisbury Connecticut.
Comments? Email me at Michelle@InterlakenInn.com
Showing 91 - 100 of 545 Articles
In case you missed the AKC Westminster Dog Show the other night, "Best in Show" was awarded to Banana Joe, a cute little Affenpinscher. Thanks to Interlaken, I've met alot of breeds in my life, but never an Affenpinscher. Interlaken is proud to be a pet friendly resort - one of very few in the state that accepts pets and the only resort in this region. We welcome pets with immediate affection and attention! We have specific pet friendly accommodations and that would be the Woodside building and one king-bedded room in Sunnyside. In addition to the treats at check-in we also have a cozy bed waiting for him/her in your room! Pups love to roam our property (leashed of course) and in particular our seasonal lakefront area. Now, this time of year most dogs love to play in the snow and Interlaken has plenty of that right now! Anyway, the whole dog show program started me thinking of how cute it would be for Interlaken to host it's own little dog show! Proud Guests and their happy pups could march around the pavilion area showing off their stuff. My blog camera would be going crazy! I can really see that happening some day, but until then, let me share with you some previous Interlaken pup visitors. These are in no particular order as we love them all and could never choose #1 Dog!
Waves in our Vineyard
Not too often would one find waves in a vineyard, but at Interlaken you now will. Wintertime always brings us to updating and renovating our space, and one little project is our Vineyard room. The Vineyard room is home to our mid-week complimentary deluxe continental breakfast, as well as dinner parties, corporate lunch meetings, culinary challenges, indoor wedding ceremonies, the "day after wedding" breakfasts, bridal showers, birthday gatherings - really, private anything! The room is quite large so it can fit lots of chairs for a ceremony or big round tables and a buffet breakfast or even a dance floor! The new carpet is being put in as we speak and the trim will be painted later on this week. The chairs will be re-upholstered in March as well to bring the new look altogether. Stay with us mid-week to enjoy breakfast the next morning in the Vineyard - you'll be certain to see the new look then!
Stay tuned for more upcoming renovations in 2013!
Here she is, the last piece of equipment to be added to the fitness room family at Interlaken.
She's a beauty! Between the tnew readmill, the new recumbent bike, the new functional trainer and elliptical machine, Interlaken's fitness room has got your calorie burn covered!
Jump (For My Love)
Anyone of the 80's era remembers this Pointer Sisters hit. I thought it would make a cute title to tie in the Interlaken's Valentine Day's Package and the SWSA Jumpfest. Why would I want to do that, you might ask? Both of them are happening on the same weekend, this upcoming weekend of February 8th and 9th.
Since Valentine's Day falls on a Thursday this year we could celebrate with our special package the weekend before or after, but we decided why not both?! The package includes all you need for a romantic overnight away: a red rose for her (or him), a complete three-course dinner, a cocktail for each of you, overnight accommodations and a full buffet breakfast for two - all for just $334.98 inclusive! According to one Guest I spoke to that booked it: "What a deal"! Now this is where the Jump (For My Love) comes in! If you choose to come this weekend, you could also come early in the day and take part in the 87th annual Jumpfest sponsored by SWSA. The activities at Satre Hill in neighboring Salisbury, CT are super fun and happen all weekend long. Ice carving, chili cook-off, human dog sled race, and of course the junior jumping competition and awards. I hope the impending snow for New England only enhances the festivities!
Changing of the Menu
It happens often here at Morgan's Restaurant at Interlaken. Just the other day Chef Scimeca told me he was at it again, so let me share with you two of the latest entree additions:
Sauteed Rhode Island Fluke, Hazelnut, Capers, Butternut Puree, Lemony Kale
Coq Au Vin: Roasted Natural Chicken Breast, Red Wine, Bacon, Red Pearl onions, Polenta
And get your meal started with this new appetizer: Housecured Salmon, Golden Beets, Pistachio, Citrus Zest, White Balsamic.
Always popular for dessert is the Ganache Torte, but hold tight as he updates the dessert menu very soon as well! Try our latest sorbet flavors of pear-vanilla and grapefruit-campari (which is complimented well with a Grey Goose Vodka Martini I am told!)
Haven't dined at Morgan's yet? Here's a recent comment from a Guest who wrote on Tripadvisor:
The chef prepared the best garlicky spinach we had ever tasted! My husband is still telling his friends about it!
He must have had the Grilled Grass-fed N.Y. Strip with House Worcestershire, Horseradish, Garlicky Spinach entree - good thing Brandon didn't take that off the menu so you can still try the best garlicky spinach yourself! We serve only naturally raised meats, fish, and eggs and we support our local farmers. When you make your room reservation make sure you make a dining one for Morgan's as well. Morgan's is open 7 evenings a week with nightly specials, a crackling fire, a warm ambience, and freshly prepared dishes delivered with a smile. Speaking of nightly specials, last week the Chefs were cooking squab "under a brick"! Come dine with us and experience Morgan's yourself!
After a balmy 55 degree day yesterday, it's cold outside again. But no worries here - I am still all warm inside from these nice comments from our Guests this week!
- Interlaken was a wonderful get away - food was great and staff was friendly and made sure we were happy- Would come back again and tell our friends about this jewel.
- We had a lovely stay. We especially enjoyed our dinner in Morgan's (really terrific food and excellent service) and plan to visit the restaurant and Inn again.
- The staff was excellent! Very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was an unexpected delight. Our room was lovely and very clean. We are happy that we have a nice place to stay when we return to Lakeville!
I often showcase the lakefront in the warmer months but really, how pretty is this?
Canadian Geese, normally not found on Lake Wononscopomuc, have found it quite comfortable too.
I recommend taking your breakfast to go, hop in your car and get your day started lakeside.
This is one thing we all have in common: we have a birthday. Some of you may see that as a bad thing (another year older...) but generally speaking it's a wonderful thing! The other option is certainly not a good one. Anyway, how about you celebrate it with a brand new, hot off the spa press, Birthday Bliss Package from ELLORA Spa! It truly is a party for one! She will feel like a Queen on her special day, being pampered from the top of her scalp to the tip of her toe. The package includes an overnight so it will also assist in your resolution of more getaways this year! This is the perfect package for your Wife, your Girlfriend, your Mom, your Sister, your Best Friend. Even if it is your "unbirthday" feel free to come anyway and take advantage of this new and very special package from ELLORA Spa & Sanctuary located right at Interlaken. Thank you, Laura Hess-Hay, for the perfect "One size fits all" gift for the ladies!
This is how many pieces the band will be for our upcoming ballroom dance weekend. Now that is a BIG BAND! Although I mentioned this new package to you back in November, the first ever ballroom dance weekend at Interlaken is now just one month away! It falls on the most perfect weekend in February, of course, the weekend Interlaken is celebrating Valentine's Day. Hold your partner close all weekend long as you learn to dance and then show off your moves as the 18 piece band helps glide you around the dance floor! Check out the details of this super fun and calorie burning weekend by clicking here!
Happy New Year!
I feel like we just started 2012 yet here we are, another full year ahead of us that will hopefully be a happy and a healthy one. 'Tis the season for the usual resolutions - did you pick the same one as last year? If it was "I plan to go get away more often" than that is certainly worth a repeat for this year! When a 7 day beach vacation just doesn't fit into your busy schedule (or your budget), frequent weekend or weekday getaways just might do the trick. Interlaken offers several getaway packages that will help you keep your resolutions this year. We've got the usual favorites plus NEW for 2013 - read on!
- Romantic Interlude, Romantic Escape, Romantic Date Night and Instant Romance Package - Sweethearts, we've got you covered. Send the kids to grandma and grandpa's for a one night away to reconnect. Choose the package right for you - sweet and simple or one a bit more elaborate.
- The Weekend Getaway Package - Sneak away for one or two days and "live and learn" at Interlaken! A variety of topics, including the Art of Floral Design with Kamilla Najdek, a Songwriter's Workshop with Jimmy Wayne (yes, THE Jimmy Wayne) and Your Cup of Tea with John Harney, will acquainte you with something that has perhaps always peaked your interest. We've got a unique workshop almost every weekend right through March 9th.
- Connecticut Cooking Classes - who does not like to eat? I am sure there are no hands raised here, but if the question was "who does not like to cook" there may be some arms in the air! Let Interlaken's own Chef Brandon Scimeca will share his passion for food and change your mind. We've got three weekends each in January, February and March - pick one!
- Escape & Indulge and Couples Massage Package - Of course one must renew and revitalize their body at the beginning of the new year! ELLORA Spa & Sanctuary will cleanse and energize and pamper your soul.
- Sleigh Ride Package - the title says it all. Take a horse-drwan sleigh ride through pretty hills of Litchfield County. I really could have listed this with the romance packages because really, how romantic does this sound? Weather permitting of course! A Carriage Ride will be substituted if Mother Nature has not provided enough snow.
- Nothing here that interests you? No worries, there's more! See our complete list of packages by clicking here.
Resolve to keep your resolutions by visiting Interlaken!
Showing 91 - 100 of 545 Articles