The Lakeside Blog is happily written by Michelle Bruck at the Interlaken Inn, Lakeville, CT. She writes about what there is to do at Interlaken and why you should come stay with us, fun local events, great places to visit and cool things to do – in and around Lakeville & Salisbury Connecticut.
Comments? Email me at Michelle@InterlakenInn.com
Showing 361 - 370 of 562 Articles
We are here to please!
Service Acts of Interlaken employee kindness!! (just in the past week, mind you!)
- An overseas guest obviously not used to or prepared for snow was trying to clean snow off of his rental car with a handkerchief. Our maintenance man plowing the parking lot took note of this, stopped and let the man borrow his scraper and helped him remove the snow from his vehicle.
- Winston noticed a young child sent out to clean off the family car. He was without gloves/mittens and trying very hard to keep his hands warm. Winston went to the front door and called him to come and borrow his gloves. He ran and took Winston’s gloves and when he was finished returned them to Winston with the biggest smile and thank you that he has ever received.
From a New Year’s Eve Guest: I’m not sure who it was, exactly, but a gentleman offered to bring a snack plate to our room after we left the bar early in the evening of New Year’s eve… what a nice touch! It was much appreciated, and very gracious!
A couple just arrived on a Romantic Interlude package, in between lunch serving hours of many restaurants – but not at Interlaken! Brandon just delivered a warm turkey club and some hot coffee to their room.
Kathy sent hot cocoa and warm cookies to a family that returned from skiing at Butternut all day. The next day she receives the cutest crayon-written thank you note from the kids.
Some couples were gathering in the lobby before our New Year’s Eve celebration, drinking champagne from plastic glasses. Kathy noticed, brought them some real champagne glasses from our restaurant along with some cheese and crackers. These couples have decided to return next year because of what Kathy did for them.
Let’s see if we can do something nice for you! Click here to visit our website so you can see all that Interlaken and this wonderful snowy area of Northwestern Connecticut have to offer you!
What's your reason to visit?
My first question to a Guest after they call and say “I’d like to make a reservation” is “What brings you to Interlaken”? Today I took several reservation calls and here’s what I heard:
- Surprise for my husband’s 40th birthday – the Johnny Winter’s show at Infinity Hall the first week in February
- Visiting the Lime Rock Race Track – late April, early May
- Celebrating 3 years of dating with my girlfriend – sign me up for the Romantic Interlude Package!
- Visiting my daughter at Hotchkiss
- I heard you guys were getting more snow this weekend – I want to take a sleigh ride in the country at Loon Meadow Farm with my husband
- I am getting remarried, and would like to have an intimate gathering of a few rooms and dinner to celebrate in Morgan’s – March 12th!
- I just need to getaway. I want to stay close to home but far enough away, and not break the bank after the holidays and all. The Romantic Interlude package is perfect for him!
- I want to take my dog away with me, and I found out that you were pet friendly. I got her settled in the new Sunnyside king bedded pet room next week
- Skiing! I want to take my kids to Butternut – they have tubing there also
W H A T I S Y O U R R E A S O N TO V I S I T ?
Check out our "Suite" new look!
Don’t you love a play on words?
The first of many renovations set for 2011 is on its way! The Townhouse Suites and adjoining Townhouse rooms at Interlaken are out with the old carpet and in with the new! Four units have been completed so far…
A few years ago, we updated the Suites with the “Scandanavian” look – deep rich colors with pops of interesting color, and this new carpet fits the scheme perfectly. I’ll have to get the moving with the camera to take some new shots so our website can be updated!
Have you stayed in our Suite units yet? They are our largest accommodation, great for families as most of the units can sleep up to 6 people. These units are also wonderful for couples – and let me tell you why! “Fireplace”! Nothing like getting cozy with your sweetheart in front of a pretty fire. Don’t worry, you don’t have to cut and bring your own firewood – we provide a duralog for you, and matches of course. After a long day of skiing, there’s nothing like getting warm by the fire! Come check out our Suites – and ask for one where the new carpet already lies!
Click here to find out more about our Townhouse units!
And stay tuned for more renovations at Interlaken in the coming year – this BLOG is the always the first to know!
Starting the year on a positive note!
Well, the New Year has officially arrived, and so have the comments about the New Year’s Eve celebration at Interlaken last night! The breakfast room and the main lobby were quite busy this morning, with the same celebratory feel in the air! My ears were wide open for all of the Guest feedback – let me share some of it with you!
“Everyone was so friendly”
“The food was fabulous”
“Sign me up for three rooms next year”
“People who work here are very polite”
“Wanda Houston was amazing”
“The band was great”
“You can’t get parties like this in NYC”
“The staff is so friendly”
“A great crowd this year”
“I loved being able to just walk back to my room afterwards – and didn’t have to go into the cold”
“I’m coming back next year with two more couples”
Thank you, Interlaken party-goers – for starting our New Year off this way!
Ending the year on a Sweet Note!
Morgan’s at Interlaken latest Dessert Menu! I just love desserts that contain healthy ingredients!
Interlaken in Review!
As we approach year end, it’s time to recap what was new this year at Interlaken! There’s so much to mention - so pour yourself a cup of Harney Tea and read on!
- Wedding/banquet chairs – beautiful and comfortable seating
- Softub for one of our Honeymoon Suites – relax and look up at the stars
- ATM – no need to travel into town
- Recycle containers – so you can help us help the world
- Lakefront furniture – to view the serene Lake Wononscopomuc
- LCD’s – all rooms have them!
- Trees in front of the main building – to keep our ramp entrance shady!
- LOBBY! This was a big one – so many of our Guests have commented how warm and welcoming it is – come see for yourself!
- Complimentary Wi-fi – to keep you connected free of charge!
- Complimentary mid-week Continental Breakfast – This was another big change our Guests really liked this year! An assortment of continental items and one hot item per day – set-up in our Vineyard room every morning until 9:30am!
- Woodside Queen Mattresses – for that perfect slumber
- Resurfaced Tennis Courts – I never even blogged about this this year! We did them at the end of the season – BLUE – just like the U.S. Open! I’ll post pictures soon!
If the last time you stayed with us was in 2009, then by all means – be sure to visit us soon to see and enjoy all of these new additions from 2010! 2011 has a list of goodies planned as well!
One more favorite thing….
S N O W .
OK, for anyone who knows me you know I am way fibbing here! But honestly I did LOVE it on Sunday when I had no where to go and I watched it fall all day and into the evening. So pretty. And then overnight. And then into the morning until about Noon. Still, I had nowhere to go on Monday either, so I was still lovin’ it! My true feelings for snow set in as the shoveling began, but again I’m over it as the ride to work this morning was so pretty since E V E R Y T H I N G was covered in snow! Now let the winter fun in New England begin! There’s so much to do: skiing, snowboarding, tubing, ice skating – just going for a trudging walk in it is invigorating! Head behind the Sunnyside house and build a huge SNOWMAN! I bundled up and headed outside to take some pictures of this wonderful snow!
Another one of my favorite things….
As of yesterday, Interlaken only had paper gift certificates available for purchase, but as of this morning we now have virtual gift cards as well! I am so excited about this, as we all have been in that situation where we need a last minute gift and it’s 10pm the night before the event, and panic sets in. (most likely self inflicted panic as why would one wait until the night before?) But now it’s virtual gift cards to the rescue! It’s so easy to get them – you can go right to our website and look for the above picture, click on it and you are in! You will need the email of whom you wish to send it to and they’ll have it instantly. There are a choice of demoninations as well, so if you were thinking of $100 towards dinner at Morgan’s or $500 towards a 2 night package, the choice is yours. Someday we hope to offer our many packages as well for gift card purchases, but until then, you’ll have to plan a bit ahead of time and give us a call so we can still mail that out to you in time. Still in need of a last minute gift? Let Interlaken’s new virtual gift cards be your solution!
How cute is this to show up on your special someone’s mobile device?!
A few of my favorite things
Sunnyside at Interlaken
If you have ever spoken to me on the phone for a reservation and have ever asked “what is your favorite building?” then you already know my answer. It’s Sunnyside. Now, I probably wouldn’t choose this particular building if I had my two daughters with me, since each room does have a King bed. (then again, snuggling with them in one big bed does sound fun!). The building originates to 1891, and as you view it on the hill and walk up the wide steps leading into it, you can feel the Victorian-ism even before you step inside. I have blogged about Sunnyside before, so chances are if you are a faithful reader then you know of its wraparound porch, winding staircase, old pictures, victorian furnishings, and the big backyard. Less than 2 years ago we did a renovation including new linens, draperies, carpet, and new flat screen LCD’s. I am writing about Sunnyside today for one main reason, though, and that is more renovations! Let me fill you in on what is planned for Spring 2011:
- Each bathroom is getting a facelift! New vanities (much more space for your toiletries), better lighting, bigger mirrors, and rainfall showerheads
- The Suite in Sunnyside is being redecorated! Over the last few years, this Suite has become popular as the “Mom of the Bride” Suite, so it would only be fitting to add a sweet corner dressing table for mom, daughter, and the gals to get pretty at. The Suite also has an adjoining sitting room where new carpet and a new pull-out sofa will be placed.
- One room has become pet friendly! No need to wait until 2011 for this one! Many of our pet friendly travelers were looking for a king bedded room, so we decided to take Room 150 and make it specifically for owners and their pups. The carpet was removed the other day and was replaced with a new wood floor. The stone wall in the room gives it a rustic feel, and the furniture is mission-styled – you won’t find Victorian-ism in this pet friendly room! New bedding and drapery is also on the way!
Winter at Lake Wononscopomuc
Showing 361 - 370 of 562 Articles