The Lakeside Blog is happily written by Michelle Bruck at the Interlaken Inn, Lakeville, CT. She writes about what there is to do at Interlaken and why you should come stay with us, fun local events, great places to visit and cool things to do – in and around Lakeville & Salisbury Connecticut.
Comments? Email me: Michelle-at-InterlakenInn.com
Showing 271 - 275 of 600 Articles
Give yourself a Spring break!
Spring arrived in such wonderfully warm style last week, and got many of us in the Northwest Corner skipping Spring and heading right for Summer! The sandals were out, coats were off, sunroofs open, flowers blooming - I even had a few Guests ask me if the boats would be available at the lakefront! I'm all for summer, but would be sad if we missed the rebirth, renewal and regrowth of this amazing season. With April being the first full month of Spring, why not celebrate all Spring has to offer by spending some time at Interlaken? Let me share with you some fun things you can do both inside and out in the lovely month of April!
- Hiking. My new favorite outdoor activity. There are an abundance of hiking trails in the Northwest Corner, and with the best hiking website at your fingertips as a reference guide (http://www.berkshirehiking.com/hikes/w_ct.html), you'll be certain to find the best hike for you. From easy to strenuous on the 2000-mile Appalachian Trail, to climbing to the highest peak in Connecticut at Bear Mountain, or meandering through the Mohawk State Forest, there is something for everyone at any level.
- Biking. Love it. You can bring your bike on the Metro North train and then at the Wassaic Station hop on the Harlem Valley Rail Trail (HVRT) up to Millerton, and then cycle to the Interlaken property (about 4 miles away). Or, leave your bikes at home and rent from the Bash Bish Bicycle located right near the HVRT. Either way, HVRT is perfecting for bicycling for a long run (10 miles each way) or for just a little bit with your younger family.
- Horseback Riding. Lee's Riding Stables at Windfield Morgan Farm in Litchfield, CT has got you covered 7 days a week for anyone 7 years and older, or pony rides for those younger aspiring equestrians. With over 100 acres of rolling hills, view the countryside on horseback!
- Golf. Yes, there are some courses that are already open, thank you summer! Hotchkiss Golf Course, located right next door to the Interlaken, is set to officially open on April 15th, but warm weather permitting, will open April 1st (and that is no joke). The greens are green, the pins are in - time to score that hole in one!
- Infinity Hall. A night on the town. With 21 shows (with one sold out date) beginning with Los Lobos on the 1st and 2011 Grammy nominee Charlie Musselwhite on the 29th, you'll be sure to find a show to entertain you! Remember to book through Interlaken on the A Night on the Town package - a great value and a great way to spend your night away!
- Hotchkiss Film Festival. The first annual film festival held on the weekend of April 20-21, 2012 at the Hotchkiss School, right next door to the Interlaken. Come show your support to high school filmmakers! Interlaken is offering a special room rate for all those attending!
- Sharon Audubon. Discover at the Visitor Center and by walking one of the many trails that focus on plants, birds, and animals in their natural habitats. In April, The Egg Event, Spring Break Sessions, and Salamander hunts are scheduled. A perfect opportunity to open your eyes to nature.
- Wineries. Although wineries are open year round for tastings and tours, why not try this special event being held in April at the Millbrook Vineyards and Winery in neighboring Dutchess County, NY: "Winegrowing Boot Camp Class #1" held on April 14th from 10am to 12noon. Expand your knowledge, learn something new. Combine this with our Millbrook Vineyard Tour Package for a fun tasting weekend away in April!
- Life Discovery Series. Offered right here at Interlaken the first two Saturdays in April at 11am. Ninety minute presentations from those with a passion and the knowledge to teach you something new. Our two topics are "Texas Hold Em" and "Fido, Mind your Manners!". (and yes, you can bring Fido to this one!) Our Weekend Getaway in CT package includes the program, but those here for other reasons can also join in for a small fee.
A bonfire for any reason, in any season!
A starry sky, a cool evening, Hot Cocoa and S'mores. A crackling fire is center stage, surrounded by your friends, family and business associates.
What? Business associates? Yes, that is what I said!
Nighttime bonfires have been popular for years with our wedding couples. Planned after the rehearsal dinner (typcially a traditional BBQ), friends and family members follow the luminaries to the bonfire site, typically placed lakeside. Toasting marshmallows certainly take you back, so not only are you feeling youthful again, but reminiscing is a given! Lately, many of our family reunions have been doing the same by including the evening bonfire into their family gathering times. Now, corporate groups can add in this fun element to their meeting as well!
Let me introduce our Campfire Meeting Package - a unique & productive meeting venue at Interlaken. It's simple, it's fun, and it includes all you need for a successful meeting!
- Overnight Accommodations
- Unique Outdoor Meeting Space (choose from multiple locations)
- Full Breakfast
- Morning Break
- Afternoon Break
- Continuous Beverage Service
- Four Course Dinner
- Audio Visual Equipment
- Evening Bonfire with S'mores and Hot Cocoa
- All Service Charges
Visit our Meetings & Reunions webpage for pricing as well as for other unique meeting options!
Hotchkiss Film Festival 2012
Students and faculty at the Hotchkiss School will be busy this April hosting their first ever Hotchkiss Film Festival the weekend of April 20 - 22, 2012. As listed on their website:
Welcome to the Hotchkiss Film Festival. The Hotchkiss School, located in the northwest corner of Connecticut, will hold the inaugural festival on the weekend of April 21st to celebrate the wide range of student short films produced ONLY by both middle and high school students. Close to both New York City and Boston, the Hotchkiss area can serve as a great relaxation and fun getaway place for everyone. We will hold the wide-scope festival over a weekend with a community-feel in order to connect the student filmmakers with professionals in the industry. Everyone is welcome.
You heard it from them - everyone is welcome! To celebrate this special event, Interlaken Inn is extending a 20% discount off our standard room rates to everyone attending. Interlaken is located right next door to Hotchkiss on Route 112 and with a variety of accommodations to meet all your needs.
Winter Wedding WOW
That is what I said when I saw this picture.
BSC Photo Studio captured this snowy magical moment at Interlaken perfectly! Remember the blog with the photos called "A Winter Wedding to Warm the Heart"? Well this photo certainly warms my heart and I can't wait to see the rest! The photographer gave us this sneak peek but more will be on the way and we'll have them posted on our winter wedding webpage soon.
Spa Parties at Interlaken
Who doesn't love a party? Check out the latest offering from ELLORA Spa & Sanctuary!
Spa Parties by our therapists!
Everyone likes a party and special occasions. Gather your friends and have a spa day with us in our relaxing lounge decorated beautifully just for you to enjoy where you will be served the food and drink of your choice. Food price separate.. Perfect for your Wedding Party, Girls Day or Night Out, Birthdays, Bat Mitzvahs, and Teen Parties.
Option #1. Simple Celebration. 2 - 25 minute services per person. $125 per person includes tip. Choice of an Express Massage, Classic Manicure, Refresher Facial, or Mini Pedicure
Option #2. Grand Gala Celebration 2 - 45 minute services per person. $200 per person includes tip. Choice of Express Massage, Refresher Facial, Pedicure, or Rainbow Therapy (4 person minimum per party required. No substitutions please.)
Gather your friends and give ELLORA Spa & Sanctuary a call today!
Showing 271 - 275 of 600 Articles