The Lakeside Blog is happily written by Michelle Bruck at the Interlaken Inn, Lakeville, CT. She writes about what there is to do at Interlaken and why you should come stay with us, fun local events, great places to visit and cool things to do – in and around Lakeville & Salisbury Connecticut.
Comments? Email me: Michelle-at-InterlakenInn.com
Showing 231 - 240 of 577 Articles
"Mixed Media Circus Maximum"
It's not every day that the Interlaken has two award-winning mixed media artists in the house! But this weekend we do, and about a dozen ladies have decided to join their workshop and run away to join the circus for the weekend!
With the "ringleaders" of Lynne Perrella and Anne Bagby, the ladies at the Perrella Art Workshop have their supplies (and do they ever).....
and they use their favorite techniques to create rich, lavish, patterned surfaces featuring the "Circus"....
When it is time for a learning session, those interested wander out to the courtyard....
All things creative like this are so interesting to me - to see all of the different supplies turned into such complex expression by each is so neat! With both professionals attending as well as those just as a hobby, this workshop definitely has many creative and positive vibes! Be sure to visit Lynn Perrella's website for more information - and be watching for the 2013 program at Interlaken!
Cinco de Mayo at Interlaken!
Many Guests at Interlaken this weekend! Here is how they are celebrating Cinco de Mayo!
- One couple is in Morgan's and they are getting a head start on the "Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports" by enjoying a Mint Julep, with hopes of a win from Daddy Nose Best.
- Another couple is celebrating being Grandparents to their favorite Indian Mountain School student and will be supporting "A Night at the Races" for a night of bidding to support IMS students, faculty and programs.
- A Hotchkiss Dad came to watch his son venture out onto beautiful Lake Wononscopomuc this afternoon for Varsity Sailing White vs. Salisbury.
- There's a always a couple in the crowd visiting Infinity Music Hall (57 Essentials by Connecticut Magazine!) - tonight they are seeing Arlo Guthrie's Boy's Night Out Tour over in Norfolk, CT.
- About two dozen ladies are "mixing up the media" at the Perrella Art Workshop! Even though this is Lynne's third time holding her workshop at the Interlaken, it was the first time I was available to walk through and get to admire the work they do - more details about this in tomorrow's blog!
- And lastly, and certainly not least: One hundred and twenty of our Guests are here to witness the union of Carey & Grant, (with names like this they were destined to be together!) and did they ever pick the perfect Spring day for it! The sun is shining (it took all morning to get here) and the temp is a comfortable 70 degrees, the grass is green, the flowers have bloomed, and the Lake (lakeside ceremony) is its usual beautiful self!
At each place setting - how CUTE!
Love the thought of a Spring Wedding? Call Stephanie at 800-222-2909 ext 797 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org to come and see us!
When something is deemed "essential" it's a must-do, wouldn't you agree?
In the 2012 Connecticut Travel guide published by Connecticut Magazine it lists 57 Essentials - Events, Attractions, Adventure & Culture - to do in Connecticut this season. With Interlaken being located in the Northwest Corner of Connecticut, I did found many of the "essentials" Connecticut Magazine recommends near us, and was thrilled to see that we are located close to everything listed in The Hills are Alive section! Here is what they wrote about each one:
#30 Infinity Music Hall in Norfolk, a rocking oasis for music lovers, hosts weekly concerts featuring both well-known musicians (Bela Fleck June 3) and emerging talent (AJ Croce May 27). Add dinner in the gourmet bistro (or order in, up in the mezzaine, during the concert), and you have a night to remember.
And you can count on us to make it a true "Night on the Town" with our special overnight package that includes tickets!
#31 Yale School of Music's Norfolk Chamber Music Festival presents classical concerts on the grounds of the Ellen Battell Stoekel Estate weekends, June 16 trhough August 18 (when students from all over the world convene to perform in Simon Carrington's Choral Festival). Picnicking is encouraged.
Speaking of picnicking, Interlaken has got you covered there as well! Our new Interlaken picnic blankets and picnic lunch options will make you both comfortable and nutritionally satisfied!
#32 Music Mountain Summer Music Festival in the Litchfield Hills town of Falls Village is a tradition. The festival presents chamber music by acclaimed artists (St. Petersburg String Quartet opens June 17) as well as jazz and country music through September.
Did you know that Music Mountain is the home of the oldest continuing summer chamber music festival in this country? It sure is, and is just minutes from the Interlaken property!
Welcome back Perrella Art Workshop!
They are back! If you read my blog last May then you may have already read the following comment from one of the particpants, but it's so pleasant why not read it again!
Thank you for the follow up on my stay at Interlaken. I was extremely pleased with Interlaken. Everyone was exceptionally friendly, welcoming and responsive. My room was lovely and clean. If there was a problem with anything during the workshop hours in the studio, it was taken care of immediately. The studio space for the workshop with Lynne Perrella was perfect and it was wonderful that we could work as late into the night as we liked. Your staff provided us with fresh coffee and hot water before they finished their shift and it was greatly appreciated. They should be commended for extending themselves in order to make our late night work more comfortable. One gentleman refrigerated our leftover canolli’s, because he was concerned that they might spoil by the time we returned to the studio after dinner. How lovely is that?
I am looking forward to returning to Interlaken next spring for Lynne Perrella’s next workshop and look forward to staying at Interlaken once again. Thank you for great service!
About half of the workshop attendees are arriving this evening to get a head start on the weekend, while the official workshop starts Friday morning. In meeting with Lynne Perrella just a few minutes ago, she told me the topic this year is "CIRCUS". Hmm, that could be interpreted in many ways! Check back in a few days so I can share with you some photos of their mixed media creations!
Lake Cottage Hideaway
One of my very favorite accommodations at the Interlaken is opening for the season next week - the Lakeside Cottage.
You check in at the main property just like all other Guests. You are given a key card - and then directions to leave the property. No worries - we send you just past a couple of driveways and then you take your left. This left takes you on a dirt road through shady trees for about a 1/4 mile. Then, your destination is ahead. The sky opens up and you have a beautiful view of the lake with this sweet little cottage nestled right against it. Private. Secluded. Your secret hideaway!
This peaceful setting will force you to relax and listen to the beautiful sounds of nature.
Canoe. Kayak. Swim. Fish. Nap. Enjoy private time with your family. And at anytime you can drive (or walk) back to the main property to dine with us and take advantage of all our property amenities.
Those that have stayed in the cabin love it just as much as I do. Here's what one Guest wrote on Tripadvisor last year:
"One of the best places I have ever stayed at"
We stayed in the Lakeside Cottage. The cottage was immaculate, peaceful and ideal for a getaway. Interlaken provides everything you need, down to the graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate bars for S'mores on the bbq that they provided the charcoal and lighter fluid for. I didn't have to think about except relaxing and enjoying time with my fiance. And they are pet-friendly too. The price was great for the service and attention that we got. I will be back at least 2 - 3 times every year. Room Tip: Lakeside cottage. private, romantic, immaculately clean.
There are still some great dates available in May and June, so click here for more details!
This is the Earth at Interlaken.
Every day is Earth Day!
As Earth Day approaches this weekend, Interlaken is already celebrating. In fact, we celebrate all year long! Being one of the first hotels in the State of Connecticut to become a Certified Green Lodging Property (and the only one in the Northwest Corner), Interlaken Inn Staff is proud to work in an earth friendly environment!
- Recycle bins are in each Guestroom, as well as large recycling units around the property
- Installation of an ozone machine in our laundry room to guarantee that our towels and sheets achieve the whitest and safest clean technology without throwing harsh chemicals into the earth
- Use of an in-room House TV Channel describing our amenities and the local area (no paper use)
- Our Chefs continue to add food scraps (such as from fruits and veggies) to our composting bins. The organic matter is then used in the raised herb beds that will grace your plate in Morgan's restaurant
- New plantings from Salisbury Garden Center are low maintenance, hardy and of native varieties. The gardens around the property are populated with grasses and perenniels, and annuals that require significant water and fertilizer are limited
- The amenities in our Guestrooms come in Biodegradable bottles
- Use of green cleaning products in all Guestrooms and public areas
- All rooms have 2.0 GPM (gallons per minute) aerators on bathroom sink faucets
- Purchase at least 20% of food from local farmers (in season) for Morgan's, such as Skyfarms greens and lettuce, Fleisher organic meats, fruits and veggies from Mr. Church, among many others
- Automatic light sensor shut-offs for meeting rooms and office space
- Participation in the Clean the World program, where remaining soap bars from Guestrooms are collected, recycled and redistributed to poverish countries around the globe.
We will continue on with our mission for 2012 and send a big thank you to all Interlaken Guests who also support the preservation of our natural resources!
Truly an Interlaken "Guest" Blogger
Taste of Spring - again!
I may be pushing the new Spring menu a bit much, but really, each time I try a new dish I just have to share with you just how amazing it is! Here is today's creation - sorry it is blurry!
Grilled Organic Salmon, Marinated Leeks and Cucumbers, Garden Chervil, Yogurt Sauce
So let me start by saying I don't even like salmon, but let me tell you how much I love this dish. The salmon melted in my mouth, so tender. The leeks and cucumbers were the perfect compliment, dipped in the yogurt sauce. I felt so clean and healthy after this meal - I felt like going for a run!
It sure makes a difference when the right people take the time to create a dish using the right products. You can always count on the Chef's in Morgan's to do so!
A new tasty treat in Morgan's Restaurant
The Chef's in Morgan's restaurant are at it again, making delicious changes on the menu. Now, this one isn't actually on the menu, but it is something you will enjoy when you order one of the many fresh and creative entrees: Cottage Cheese Dill Rolls. Everyone loves to snack on a little something before the meal comes, and these little guys are the perfect item. So light, so delicious, so buttery - trust me, you will love them! I ate them so quickly I didn't even have time to stop and take a picture. Dine in Morgan's and you can taste them for yourself!
Showing 231 - 240 of 577 Articles