The Lakeside Blog is happily written by Michelle Bruck at the Interlaken Inn, Lakeville, CT. She writes about what there is to do at Interlaken and why you should come stay with us, fun local events, great places to visit and cool things to do – in and around Lakeville & Salisbury Connecticut.
Comments? Email me at Michelle@InterlakenInn.com
Showing 221 - 230 of 561 Articles
Every day is Earth Day!
As Earth Day approaches this weekend, Interlaken is already celebrating. In fact, we celebrate all year long! Being one of the first hotels in the State of Connecticut to become a Certified Green Lodging Property (and the only one in the Northwest Corner), Interlaken Inn Staff is proud to work in an earth friendly environment!
- Recycle bins are in each Guestroom, as well as large recycling units around the property
- Installation of an ozone machine in our laundry room to guarantee that our towels and sheets achieve the whitest and safest clean technology without throwing harsh chemicals into the earth
- Use of an in-room House TV Channel describing our amenities and the local area (no paper use)
- Our Chefs continue to add food scraps (such as from fruits and veggies) to our composting bins. The organic matter is then used in the raised herb beds that will grace your plate in Morgan's restaurant
- New plantings from Salisbury Garden Center are low maintenance, hardy and of native varieties. The gardens around the property are populated with grasses and perenniels, and annuals that require significant water and fertilizer are limited
- The amenities in our Guestrooms come in Biodegradable bottles
- Use of green cleaning products in all Guestrooms and public areas
- All rooms have 2.0 GPM (gallons per minute) aerators on bathroom sink faucets
- Purchase at least 20% of food from local farmers (in season) for Morgan's, such as Skyfarms greens and lettuce, Fleisher organic meats, fruits and veggies from Mr. Church, among many others
- Automatic light sensor shut-offs for meeting rooms and office space
- Participation in the Clean the World program, where remaining soap bars from Guestrooms are collected, recycled and redistributed to poverish countries around the globe.
We will continue on with our mission for 2012 and send a big thank you to all Interlaken Guests who also support the preservation of our natural resources!
Truly an Interlaken "Guest" Blogger
Taste of Spring - again!
I may be pushing the new Spring menu a bit much, but really, each time I try a new dish I just have to share with you just how amazing it is! Here is today's creation - sorry it is blurry!
Grilled Organic Salmon, Marinated Leeks and Cucumbers, Garden Chervil, Yogurt Sauce
So let me start by saying I don't even like salmon, but let me tell you how much I love this dish. The salmon melted in my mouth, so tender. The leeks and cucumbers were the perfect compliment, dipped in the yogurt sauce. I felt so clean and healthy after this meal - I felt like going for a run!
It sure makes a difference when the right people take the time to create a dish using the right products. You can always count on the Chef's in Morgan's to do so!
A new tasty treat in Morgan's Restaurant
The Chef's in Morgan's restaurant are at it again, making delicious changes on the menu. Now, this one isn't actually on the menu, but it is something you will enjoy when you order one of the many fresh and creative entrees: Cottage Cheese Dill Rolls. Everyone loves to snack on a little something before the meal comes, and these little guys are the perfect item. So light, so delicious, so buttery - trust me, you will love them! I ate them so quickly I didn't even have time to stop and take a picture. Dine in Morgan's and you can taste them for yourself!
Lime Rock Racers are Back!
Another official sign of Spring at the Interlaken and at Lime Rock Park are the return of the Racers! The owner of this beautiful Nissan GT-R has been staying at the Inn for over 35 years and visits the track quite often during the racing season, which means he visits Interlaken quite often as well. We love having you stay with us, Len! As the racing season gets further under way, there will be more beauties like this gracing our parking lot, so be sure to take a few minutes and check them out!
Spring Dinner Menu in Morgan's
As the local ingredients of Spring become available, the new menu at Morgan's will be updated and changed regularly. As I was changing the menu on the Morgan's dining webpage, I was trying to decide which one I would choose if I had the fortunate chance to dine in Morgan's. My chance came true this evening and my choices were down to the following:
Homemade Gnocchi, Wild Black Trumpet Mushrooms, Spring Sweet Peas, Roasted Garlic
Block Island Wild Striped Bass with Artichokes, Baby Spinach, Black Olive Tapanade
And the winner is:
Oh my goodness - so delicious, so healthy - just how I want my meals to be. The artichokes are beyond yummy, the sea bass is tender and so flavorful with the black olive tapanade - I think I made the perfect choice this evening!
Click here to see the full Spring menu! Bon Appetit!
Lake Wononscopomuc - also known as "Lakeville Lake" for those of you choose not to pronounce Wononscopomuc.
Interlaken's lakefront - for Interlaken Guests only.
- Swing by it
- Get married by it
- Canoe on it
- Swim in it
- Propose by it
- Picnic by it
- Teambuild a raft in it
- Fish in it
- Dip your toes in it
- Play Frisbee by it
- Renew your vows near it
- Have a bonfire near it
- Walk your dog to it
Life Discovery Series - additions!
For those of you who've shown interest in our Life Discovery Series as part of the Weekend Getaway Package, we are happy to announce two more dates this season that just may be of interest to you! Golfers and Scrappers - see what you can learn about in just 90 minutes:
Shirley Breuer - Golf Conditioning - Getting Ready for the Season of your Life Saturday May 19TH
- Has your golf game lost it’s zip?
- Do you notice you’re not as flexible as you used to be and it’s affecting your swing?
- Do you feel as though you’ve lost some distance in your shots?
- Are you having difficulty maintaining your balance when you swing?
- Are aches and pains changing your swing mechanics?
Come and learn from a Physical Therapist how some simple flexibility, strengthening, and balance exercises can improve your posture, add distance to your drives, take strokes off your game and make you feel like the golfer you know and love!
Shirley Breuer, MA, RPT, OCS, CSCS, CEAS has been a Physical Therapist for 30 years, a Strength and Conditioning Specialist for 16 years, a golfer for 34 years, utilizes what she teaches and is proud to claim 3 hole in ones!
Teri Meiers - Intro to Digital Scrapbooking Saturday June 9TH
Capture memories with your computer instead of papers and pens! Learn how you can design beautiful hardbound photo books on your own computer and how with a click of a button they can be printed, bound and shipped direct to your front door. No technical experience required. If you can answer email or play solitaire on your computer…you can do digital scrapbooking. Enjoy a live demonstration of StoryBook Creator Plus 4.0 Software.
Beyond digital scrapbooking…come and check out Teri’s gallery of custom photo gifts, photo cards and invitations, page prints, wall art, calendars and more. See how easy these projects are to design when you have the right software for your computer. Need Teri to do your design work…just ask.
About Teri: Successful entrepreneur, leader Creative Memories, three time recipient of her company’s most prestigious legendary leader award and top incentive trip earner who has traveled the world with Creative Memories. Let Teri tell her story and understand the new concepts in digital scrapbooking.
We will continue to add to this series through-out the year, and I'll keep you posted on new topics!
Interlaken Inn is Expanding!
For the past several weeks, I've been watching the Interlaken's website expand. Have you noticed? Just put your cursor on one of the tabs at the top and watch what happens. There are so many new drop down pages to choose from, many new packages are being offered, new photos have been added, pages have been redesigned - it's gone mad! Let me highlight some of the my favorites on our website!
- Testimonial pages. When I read something that makes me happy, I want to share it. When Guests of Interlaken share their positive comments with us, we'll share them with you. Read what people are saying on the Home, Wedding, Meetings, and Dining tabs.
- Summer packages. Right now we are offering certain packages on certain weekends in May and June. Take advantage of the tremendous savings by booking one today as rooms are limited.
- Affordable Weddings. Flexible on your wedding date? Visit this page as we post certain dates that will give you the perfect wedding at the perfect price!
- Unique Meeting Venues. Dare to be different and forego the traditional meeting room. Book your offsite conference with us and we'll find a unique location conducive to a successful meeting!
Our website will continue to grow in 2012, so be sure to click back often to see the latest!
New Spring Services from ELLORA Spa & Sanctuary
Laura Hess-Hay, owner of ELLORA's Spa & Sanctuary, just shared these new massages now available that will surely release any "tech pressures" you may have!
Tech Release: On the computer all day? Stiff, achy neck, arms and wrists hurt? Here is a massage designed just for you! 45 minutes....$125
Tech Neck: An upper body massage designed to release tired, overworked muscles starting at the back and working to the head. 30 minutes....$85
Tech Hand: A massage concentrated on the hand, wrist, forearm, elbow and upper arm with some shoulder work. 30 minutes....$85
Massages are by appointment only, call for yours today. 860-435-1305.
Check out all of the wonderful services Laura offers - ELLORA Spa & Sanctuary., located right at the Interlaken, just steps away from your Guestroom.
Showing 221 - 230 of 561 Articles