The Lakeside Blog is happily written by Michelle Bruck at the Interlaken Inn, Lakeville, CT. She writes about what there is to do at Interlaken and why you should come stay with us, fun local events, great places to visit and cool things to do – in and around Lakeville & Salisbury Connecticut.
Comments? Email me at Michelle@InterlakenInn.com
Showing 141 - 150 of 544 Articles
One last dip
take one last dip in the pool like it was summer. Relax and swim before these beautiful green trees turn into warm shades of oranges, reds and yellows and our pool closes for the season.
Our heated swimming pool will be open for another few weeks, so be sure to come very soon!
Hello all! I'm back to blogging and happy to be doing so! Where did I go? I was fortunate enough to spend a week in a hot and sunny place with my family, ending the summer with a bang! How did you spend the last few weeks of your summer? Many people spent some time at Interlaken, and here's what they had to say about their final summer getaway!
- All was wonderful, as has become the norm.
- Even though we weren't too far from home it was still nice to get away. A special thank you to the dining room staff for putting a birthday candle in my boyfriend's dessert and singing! lol We would both recommend the Interlaken.
- This was my third stay at the Interlaken Inn. And just like my first time in was great. Just minutes from Skip Barber @ Lime Rock it made my stay even more enticing. But the main reason for my stays are the amenities you have to offer along with a great staff and great dining. I will be back next year for another stay.
- The staff couldn't have been more receptive and inviting. The room was clean and well taken care of. A real pleasure. I look forward to my next stay with you.
- We had a very nice time and the facility did a great job with the wedding we attended.
- Our stay was fabulous! The staff was genuinely welcoming and helpful. The food was delicious! The grounds were lovely.
- Staff was very pleasant, diner was excellent and the room was clean. We had a great time. Thank you!!
- please know that we were delighted with our stay, accomodations, food, piano music, and most of all your very attentive staff. We look forward to our next visit.
- Our stay at the Interlaken Inn was wonderful! The grounds are beautiful and the staff was not only accommodating, but made us feel welcomed.
- We had a great stay at Interlaken in August. We loved the room and would definitely choose that type of room again (I think it was Sunnyside--the building in the back). Our favorite activity is canoeing on the lake.
Summer may be over, but the fun and relaxing times at Interlaken certainly are not! Come visit us for a wonderful fall getaway!
Meet Brandon Scimeca
Time to learn more about Brandon Scimeca, the Executive Chef (and Food and Beverage Director) at Interlaken. If you have visited us you may have seen him either donning a Chef's jacket, or wearing a dress shirt and pants for a wedding house visit, or carrying in bushels of fresh vegetables from his garden with the help of his son. You have definitely met him, though, in every meal you've had if you have head the pleasure of dining in Morgan's. He is the man with the farm-to-table mission - click the link below to read the article in the Litchfield County Times to learn more about his passion. And when you are done, do make a dining reservation with us to savor the last tastes of summer!
It all started with an ad in the New York Times
I had the pleasure to meet some Guests that had their first visit here to the Interlaken back in 1974. To do the math for you, that would be 38 years ago. How did their first visit to the Interlaken come about? They saw a small ad in the New York Times featuring a hotel in the Berkshires that had a lake, and knew that is just what they wanted for their young family. I listened happily to how the Interlaken used to be back then and how things have changed over the years. For those of you who have also been visiting us for that many years read on for some of the changes Judy shared with me - you may remember how things used to be too!
- The lake is still the beautiful lake. Back then, there were two docks and a large sandy area
- The outdoor pool was not heated but had a diving board and slide
- The Atrium/Health and Fitness Center was not built, and there was no wedding pavilion
- The Townhouses and coordinating garages were for sale
- The restaurant was in the front room and very elegant, and the deck portion of now Morgan's was not enclosed
- The Peters family and Nick Beni Sr. were the owners. In fact, one of the Peter's daughters had their shop on property, For the Birds, which then moved into Lakeville/Salisbury
- Their room rate was $28
- The private lakeside cottage was not an available accommodation
- The Harlem Valley Rail Trail was not developed
- The diner in Millerton was there (but with different current owners of course)
- Saperstein's and Terni's were in business in Millerton
- The Ragamont was in operating in Salisbury
There were so many other changes Judy mentioned, and it's hard to remember them all! I have asked Judy for any pictures of her first visits to the Interlaken and she promised to send them my way. I'll be certain to share them when I receive them! If you have long ago memories of Interlaken, be sure to share them with me at email@example.com!
Woofles and Petie
The boys made it! Woofles and his brother Petie, Boston Terriers, spent the afternoon at the Interlaken's lakefront today, and I just had to wander down there and meet them. (I know, tough job I've got) Although it may look it from these photos that they relaxed all afternoon, they didn't: their Mom Eva played them hard in the water, preparing them as new members to the Hudson Valley Dock Diving Club. There's a practice pool located in Millerton, NY (voted one of the 10 coolest small towns in American by Frommers, by the way) and that is how Eva found us. She stayed in one our newly renovated Woodside pet friendly rooms and took advantage of the Pet-Away Package , a packaged made especially for pups and their owners. I am certain we'll be seeing more of these cuties!
Tuscan Table for two
Table for two times 74 that is! In addition to the Wedding Guests enjoying this bountiful Tuscan Table at the cocktail hour, Interlaken servers will also offer passed hdo's and cocktails to everyone mingling on this gorgeous summer day in New England. There is no need for indoors on a day like today, so after the Guests gather on the courtyard lawn amongst the gardens they'll wander under the pavillion and enjoy the rest of the wedding reception to great food, great company and great music late into the evening.
Peanut butter and jelly, salt and pepper, chocolate and vanilla, Tom and Jerry - it's nice when things go together! I've talked about the wonderful desserts that Morgan's has been offering and now we've paired them up with the perfect after dinner drinks. Alone they are wonderful, but each one will taste better with the other!
Enjoy Double Ganache Tore with Pretzel Ice Cream with Patron XO Cocoa, Mexico
Taste Local Apple Fritters with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with Clear Creek, Eau di Vie Pomme, Oregon
Savor Buttermilk Panna Cotta with Cherry Compote, Toasted Oat Crumb and Sour Cherry Sorbet with Pedro Zimenez Sherry, Bodegas Dios Baco, Spain
Sample Peanut Butter Semifreddo with Peanut Brittle and Chocolate Sorbet with Toschi Nocello (Walnut Liquor), Italy
Nibble Summer Strawberries with Balsamic Ice Cream and Red Wine-Caramel with Quitina Noval, Ruby Port
Morgan's is open 7 nights a week - be sure to come and visit us!
No obstacles at Interlaken
This Agility Master Champion will be staying with us next weekend - can't wait to meet Woofles! Here he is weaving his way through an obstacle course...
Not just for daytime
Just as peaceful and beautiful while the sun begins to set.
Will you Marry Me?
Proposals have happened before at Interlaken, but each time I hear that one is going to happen I get excited like it's the very first time! Remember the one that happened in Morgan's last summer? Or the one that happened right after the holidays? We love being a part of such a momentus occasion, and this time was no exception.
A pathway of rose petals and sweetly lit candles to a destination of more beautiful roses and candles, chilled champagne, and freshly made chocolate-covered strawberries - right to the spot of where she said YES! Surprise!
Although this groom-to-be had his own thoughts on the big proposal, we've created a special Romantic Engagement Package that will make this moment an unforgettable one for the one you love. It includes all of your meals as well as a photo shoot with photographer Eric Limon and a special discount off Interlaken's wedding packages. You do know we do weddings here too, right?! If you've got the right one for you and you've got a ring that fits, let us help you do the rest!
Showing 141 - 150 of 544 Articles