The Lakeside Blog is happily written by Michelle Bruck at the Interlaken Inn, Lakeville, CT. She writes about what there is to do at Interlaken and why you should come stay with us, fun local events, great places to visit and cool things to do – in and around Lakeville & Salisbury Connecticut.
Comments? Email me: Michelle-at-InterlakenInn.com
Showing 131 - 135 of 600 Articles
Introducing William Kent
Today we took a field trip out of the Litchfield Hills and over to Durham, CT. On the way I saw such beauty: the rich green grass, the bright yellow forsythia bushes, red tulips and deep pink azaleas, and the flowering dogwood trees - all took my breath away. Upon reaching our destination, I saw more of Mother Nature represented, this time in wood sculptures created by Artist William Kent. I was able to visit the studio where William created all of his wood sculptures, all made out of different types of wood, and most from single pieces. The word "amazing" was said often as I admired each piece, from the crushed can to the safety pin to the light bulb to his incredible self-portrait.
William Kent, a self-taught artist, was well-known publicly earlier in his career for his huge slate blackboard carvings, but spent the last 50 years of his life sculpting man-sized wood pieces in this studio in Durham and keeping his creations right there with him. The piece he was carving and the tools he was using just two days before his death at age 93 remains on his workbench. The textures, the colors of the wood, the fluidity - you can only appreciate these pieces in person, and that is exactly what I did, and you can too when you visit the Interlaken. We have brought some of these pieces to the Interlaken, both in our lobby and our dining room, where they are for sale as part of The William Kent Charitable Foundation, created by William prior to his death to help other starving artists. We are proud to showcase the the talent of this man, hidden for the last 50 years, at our property.
It's Easy Being Green
As the world celebrates Earth Day today, it is just a normal day here at Interlaken. Being the only certified "Connecticut Green Lodging" property in Northwest Connecticut means we honor the Earth every day. It's a beautiful Earth, why not take care of it?
What does being a certified "Connecticut Green Lodging" property mean? Let me share:
- Recycle bins are in each Guestroom, as well as large recycling units around the property
- Installation of an ozone machine in our laundry room to guarantee that our towels and sheets achieve the whitest and safest clean technology without throwing harsh chemicals into the earth
- Our Chefs continue to add food scraps (such as from fruits and veggies) to the composting bins. The organic matter is then used in the new raised herb beds that will grace your plate in Morgan's restaurant
- New plantings from Salisbury Garden Center are low maintenance, hardy and of native varieties. The gardens around the property are populated with grasses and perenniels, and annuals that require significant water and fertilizer are limited
- The amenities in our Guestrooms come in Biodegradable bottles
- Use of green cleaning products in all Guestrooms and public areas
- All rooms have 2.0 GPM (gallons per minute) aerators on bathroom sink faucets
- Purchase at least 30% of food from local farmers (in season) for Morgan's, such as Skyfarms greens and lettuce, Fleisher organic meats, fruits and veggies from Farm Girl Farm, among many others
- Automatic light sensor shut-offs for meeting rooms and office space
- Participation in the Clean the World program, where remaining soap bars from Guestrooms are collected, recycled and redistributed to poverish countries around the globe.
With one more year left until recertification, we will continue to work be green and be proud of it!
A New Beginning
Spring is definitely the time for new beginnings, and what could be more of a new beginning than a couple saying "I do" on a beautiful spring afternoon?
The sky was a deep blue, the sun was a bright yellow and the temperatures were over 60, a perfect day for a lakeside ceremony followed by the cocktail hour on the lawn and then the wedding reception under the wedding pavilion. Besides the wonderful sights of Spring (flowers popping up, buds on the trees, green grass) the scents of Spring are always so delightful! As soon as you entered the wedding pavilion your senses were tickled with the intense smells of stargazer lilies, tulips and hyacinths, and this is the reason why:
Kamilla of Kamilla's Floral Boutique in Millerton, NY is the one responsible for bringing Spring indoors to each table! (On a side note, Kamilla had her beginning in the United States right here at Interlaken one summer many years ago!)
Now I can rarely walk past the sweet part of the celebration without snapping a photo. Cupcake tree provided by Piece of Cake.
Congratulations Emily and Randy!
Updating our Vineyard
Did you know there is a Vineyard at Interlaken? OK, maybe not as in "a plantation of grape-bearing vines" but rather a generously sized banquet room that we call The Vineyard and that serves many purposes, including the location of the complimentary mid-week continental breakfast, an indoor wedding ceremony site, and many private dining functions. For those of you that have seen the room do know there isn't anything "Vineyard-like" about it, so how did it get its name anyway? For those Guests that have been coming to Interlaken for over 25 years you'll remember the plastic "Anthony's Vineyard" sign with the big arrow, the orange and purple decor and grapes hanging on the walls and in the trees. I looked to see if I had any photos of this to share but no luck. What I can do is share the latest photos of this newly decorated room that has westward views of Lake Wononscopomuc peaking through the trees. Now mind you this picture doesn't do the new look justice - you must see the interesting wallpaper in person. This room is primarily used for our continental breakfast and we promise to get your day started in a bright happy room with bright sunny service!
Our mid-week deluxe complimentary breakfast is available from 6:30am to 9:30am.
Four short weeks ago we said bye-bye to our 1st floor bathrooms and now we can say a happy hello to our new look!
Showing 131 - 135 of 600 Articles