The Lakeside Blog springs forth from the creative mind of Michelle Bruck at the Interlaken Inn, Lakeville, CT. She writes about events, great places to visit and cool things to do – in and around Lakeville & Salisbury Connecticut.
Showing - of Articles
Oh how easy it is these days to communicate with our Guests, and to have our Guests communicate with us! Gone are the days of printed comment cards in Interlaken Guestrooms, and an abundance of printed ads in publications for advertising the Interlaken in various markets. Woo-hoo for all of the technological advances to bring us where we are today! Like this BLOG. How would I ever be able to share with you all the information about what is happening here, what’s newly renovated, our latest package offering, the weather in Northwest Connecticut, my love of Harney Tea, wedding photos, the nightly special in Morgan’s - all in a timely fashion – if I didn’t have this blog? Like Facebook. How would the mother of the bride be able to share with everyone her thoughts about her daughter’s wedding held here at the Interlaken last weekend without Facebook? Like Twitter. Come on, we all love the 140 words or less – short to read and simple to write!
Follow our tweets on Twitter! And tweet us back on Twitter!
Fan us on Facebook! Take a moment to tell us about your stay!
Keep reading me for the latest happenings at Interlaken!
SWSA is HOT this year!
Interlaken supports SWSA!
As I was heading to work this morning, passing the Green in Salisbury, CT, I was reminded about the annual Nordic ski jumps held at Satre Hill in Salisbury, CT the weekend of February 11th – 13th. SWSA has hosted this event for 85 years, and this year, Satre Hill unveils its $700,000 community funded, Olympic size steel ski jump. (there’s a reason for this new jump, read on!) The weekend is full of many fun and interesting events, and concludes with the U.S. Eastern Championships on Sunday. But the jumping doesn’t end there for the season! Here’s the reason of the new steel ski jump versus the wood one: SWSA is proud to be this year’s host of the coveted USSA (United States Ski and Snowboard Association) Junior Olympics in Ski Jumping and Nordic Combined competition! The event includes both ski jumping at Satre Hill and cross country skiing over at Mohawk Mountain. Last year, the Junior Olympics (for ages 17 and under) were held in Steamboat Springs, Colorado, and previously in Alaska. Needless to say, this small town of 4000 residents is quite excited to host this premier 5 day event! It all begins on February 22nd and lasts through February 26th. Oh and more good news: Interlaken is happy to be deemed the “Olympic Village” for both opening and closing ceremonies!
February is definitely SWSA’s month to shine, and Interlaken is happy to accommodate everyone who plans to visit these wonderful events! Click here for more info on SWSA, Jump Fest and the Junior Olympics!
Oh my goodness! I just cannot wait for it (IT being Spring) to come this year! With today’s prediction of 12 more inches of snow for Interlaken in Lakeville, CT – I just had to go back through my photos and post ones of warmer and greener times to come!
What are you doing on this frigid January day?
- Interlaken has a bride in our lobby, ready to walk down the aisle to the love of her life
- Interlaken has a family that just got back from skiing at Catamount – we’ve got hot cocoa all ready for them!
- Interlaken has a couple that is leaving shortly to see the show at Infinity Hall
- Interlaken has dinner reservations clustered near the 7pm time, about when Scott Heth begins to play the piano
- Interlaken has a couple doing a menu tasting for their wedding here in June for 165 Guests
- Interlaken has Scrapbookers in house! About 20 ladies in the WRR laughing, cropping, eating, creating memories…
- Interlaken has 107 Guests ready to enjoy a wonderful meal and great dancing under our wedding pavilion
- Interlaken has a woman celebrating her 50th birthday today
- Interlaken has a Mom and Dad visiting their son over at Indian Mountain School
- Interlaken has movie tickets to give to a couple here on the Romantic Interlude package
- Interlaken has a single woman traveler enjoying her special amenity bag
- Interlaken has a woman who just had a facial at ELLORA Spa
- Interlaken has an amazing dinner special in Morgan’s tonight!
- Interlaken has a staff ready to take care of you on this cold January day – and any day of the year!
"Beyond our Expectations"
I love hearing these words, and especially when I hear them from Interlaken Guests! It’s certainly not the first time these words have been written to me via our Guest Feedback campaign, but certainly worth mentioning again.
The Clarkes stayed with us last week and dined in Morgan’s and this was their comment:
“We also ate dinner in Morgan’s and found the food delicious, actually Beyond our Expectations“.
Naturally I had to look to see what they had that they found so delicious! They started their meal with Crispy Shrimp Tempura with Blood Orange-Red Curry Glaze with Coconut-Kaffir Sauce, and then each had the Morgan Burger. You are probably thinking, really, how can a burger stand out as being so delicious? I’d say try one yourself! The Morgan Burger is a locally raised organic burger - top it with any of the following: caramelized onions, bacon, Grafton cheddar, Great Hill blue cheese, Swiss or Grueyure. If our burgers are this delicious, you can only imagine how wonderful the other creative entrees are on our menu. Check out last night’s special: Wild Atlantic Sea Bass, quinoa-chantrelle mushroom pilaf, cherry tomato-salad & chive oil. I am already so hungry and it’s not even 10am!!
It’s supposed to be quite chilly this coming weekend – why not warm up by our fireplace and experience Morgan’s for yourself? It may just be “Beyond your Expectations” too!
It's a nice day for a White Wedding…
Inside this pavilion that is surrounded by snow….
Is a toasty warm reception area….
Ready for a great meal and lots of dancing….
Ready for a great meal and lots of dancing….
Just pick out your seat…..
And let your Guests celebrate in your wedded bliss!
Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!
As if Mother Nature needs any encouragement at this point! Interlaken Resort and Northwestern Connecticut welcomed another 25 inches of the freshly fallen white stuff today – just in time for the upcoming holiday weekend! We’ve gotten alot of calls today inquiring about rooms for this weekend, and although Saturday is a bit limited we still have availability for Friday and Sunday night – don’t forget about that long weekend! Take advantage of it and sneak away for the night! And don’t worry – even if you aren’t a winter sports kind of person, there are other things going on in the area. How about a movie? True Grit, Black Swan and You Don’t Get to 500 million Friends without making a Few Enemies are all playing over at the Moviehouse in Millerton, NY. Be sure to visit the Harney & Sons Tea Room – it’s right down the street! How about a show? Marshall Crenshaw on Friday, Eight to the Bar – CD release party for the Romper Room on Saturday and Vienna Teng with Matt White on Sunday – all this weekend at Infinity Hall in Norfolk, CT. How about a romantic dinner? Reserve a table right in front of the fireplace in Morgan’s, and choose a delicious meal from our winter menu – Braised shortribs in rioja wine, shallots, tomato, rosemary with pappardelle pasta, and carrot-parsnip cake withorange maple buttercream, cinnamon whipped cream and gingerbread wafer for dessert. How about a massage? ELLORA Spa and Sanctuary can relax your muscles with one of their ancient stone massages. How about a vineyard tour? Our Millbrook Vineyard Tour package includes dinner for two, two glasses of wine, a tour of the Millbrook Vineyard and breakfast for two. All this, a wedding, a quilting group, skiing, snowboarding and snow tubing – what a fun winter holiday weekend planned at Interlaken!!
We are here to please!
Service Acts of Interlaken employee kindness!! (just in the past week, mind you!)
- An overseas guest obviously not used to or prepared for snow was trying to clean snow off of his rental car with a handkerchief. Our maintenance man plowing the parking lot took note of this, stopped and let the man borrow his scraper and helped him remove the snow from his vehicle.
- Winston noticed a young child sent out to clean off the family car. He was without gloves/mittens and trying very hard to keep his hands warm. Winston went to the front door and called him to come and borrow his gloves. He ran and took Winston’s gloves and when he was finished returned them to Winston with the biggest smile and thank you that he has ever received.
From a New Year’s Eve Guest: I’m not sure who it was, exactly, but a gentleman offered to bring a snack plate to our room after we left the bar early in the evening of New Year’s eve… what a nice touch! It was much appreciated, and very gracious!
A couple just arrived on a Romantic Interlude package, in between lunch serving hours of many restaurants – but not at Interlaken! Brandon just delivered a warm turkey club and some hot coffee to their room.
Kathy sent hot cocoa and warm cookies to a family that returned from skiing at Butternut all day. The next day she receives the cutest crayon-written thank you note from the kids.
Some couples were gathering in the lobby before our New Year’s Eve celebration, drinking champagne from plastic glasses. Kathy noticed, brought them some real champagne glasses from our restaurant along with some cheese and crackers. These couples have decided to return next year because of what Kathy did for them.
Let’s see if we can do something nice for you! Click here to visit our website so you can see all that Interlaken and this wonderful snowy area of Northwestern Connecticut have to offer you!
What's your reason to visit?
My first question to a Guest after they call and say “I’d like to make a reservation” is “What brings you to Interlaken”? Today I took several reservation calls and here’s what I heard:
- Surprise for my husband’s 40th birthday – the Johnny Winter’s show at Infinity Hall the first week in February
- Visiting the Lime Rock Race Track – late April, early May
- Celebrating 3 years of dating with my girlfriend – sign me up for the Romantic Interlude Package!
- Visiting my daughter at Hotchkiss
- I heard you guys were getting more snow this weekend – I want to take a sleigh ride in the country at Loon Meadow Farm with my husband
- I am getting remarried, and would like to have an intimate gathering of a few rooms and dinner to celebrate in Morgan’s – March 12th!
- I just need to getaway. I want to stay close to home but far enough away, and not break the bank after the holidays and all. The Romantic Interlude package is perfect for him!
- I want to take my dog away with me, and I found out that you were pet friendly. I got her settled in the new Sunnyside king bedded pet room next week
- Skiing! I want to take my kids to Butternut – they have tubing there also
W H A T I S Y O U R R E A S O N TO V I S I T ?
Check out our "Suite" new look!
Don’t you love a play on words?
The first of many renovations set for 2011 is on its way! The Townhouse Suites and adjoining Townhouse rooms at Interlaken are out with the old carpet and in with the new! Four units have been completed so far…
A few years ago, we updated the Suites with the “Scandanavian” look – deep rich colors with pops of interesting color, and this new carpet fits the scheme perfectly. I’ll have to get the moving with the camera to take some new shots so our website can be updated!
Have you stayed in our Suite units yet? They are our largest accommodation, great for families as most of the units can sleep up to 6 people. These units are also wonderful for couples – and let me tell you why! “Fireplace”! Nothing like getting cozy with your sweetheart in front of a pretty fire. Don’t worry, you don’t have to cut and bring your own firewood – we provide a duralog for you, and matches of course. After a long day of skiing, there’s nothing like getting warm by the fire! Come check out our Suites – and ask for one where the new carpet already lies!
Click here to find out more about our Townhouse units!
And stay tuned for more renovations at Interlaken in the coming year – this BLOG is the always the first to know!
Showing - of Articles